The National Association of
the Daughters of the Confederacy was organized in Nashville, Tennessee,
September 10, 1894, by Mrs. Caroline Meriwether Goodlett, of Nashville
and Mrs. Anna Davenport Raines, of Georgia. When the organization held
its second meeting in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1895, the name of the organization
was changed to the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
The United Daughters of the Confederacy was incorporated under the laws
of the District of Columbia on July 18, 1919. The objectives of the
are historical, benevolent, educational, memorial and patriotic to (1)
honor the memory of those who served and those who fell in the service
of the Confederate States; (2) to protect, preserve and mark the places
made historic by Confederate valor; (3) to collect and preserve the
for a truthful history of the War Between the States; (4) to record the
part taken by Southern Women in patient endurance of hardship and patriotic
devotion during the struggle, and in untiring efforts after the war during
the reconstruction of the South; (5) to fulfill the sacred duty of benevolence
toward the survivors and toward those dependent upon them; (6) to assist
descendants of worthy Confederates in securing proper education; (7)
cherish the ties of friendship among the members of the Organization.
The emblem of the United Daughters of the Confederacy is a five-pointed
star with superimposed cotton boll. One word of the motto is on the tip
of each point: THINK, LOVE, PRAY, DARE, LIVE.
The Insignia of the United Daughters of the Confederacy is the First National
Flag (Stars and Bars) of the Confederacy surrounded by a laurel wreath
with the letters UDC under the flag, tied with a ribbon on
which are the dates 1861-1865.
to Home Page